Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This is just the beginning...

Greetings and Salutations!

They call me Shawndorman. Who is 'they,' you ask? Well, 'they' would be the imaginary group of people I have concocted in order to start this introduction off with a bit of flair in a feeble attempt to devise the notion of myself as an oft-whispered legend. It didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped, but bear with me. I'll try to make this worth your while.

Ever since the dawn of time (Which, as far as I'm concerned, has only been in existence for as long as I've been aware of it - I dare you to prove me wrong!), I have been a fan of the movies and the magic they bring into the world. My love for this artform started off simply enough with obsessive repeat viewings of Back to the Future, Return of the Jedi, and Superman II - viewings that became so frequent that my mother threw the tapes away to save me from a life of geekdom. (Spoiler alert: She failed) More movies came into the mix as the years went on - More than I can even begin to list here in this brief introduction, but I'm sure they'll all be mentioned as this blog goes on.

As I grew older, my obsessions began to sift over into other forms of entertainment like music and books and video games. While I am a geek in every sense of the word, my list of likes proves to be so varied that I can't possibly be labeled as being narrow-minded. For instance, catch me one day of the week on my drive home and I may be listening to The Who. Catch me on another day of the week and I may be listening to A Tribe Called Quest. Catch me on another day of the week and I may be listening to The Flaming Lips. The fun never stops!!!!

It really doesn't matter what form of entertainment it is, I always tend to go through obsessive phases when I focus on one particular franchise, band, or author. The best is when my phases are so broad that they only focus on a particular entertainment form i.e. Music, Books, Movies, Television, etc. I've had so many of phases, it's hard to sort them out, but I've listed a few below:

- The Beatles phase
- The Lord of the Rings phase
- The Harry Potter phase
- The Bob Dylan phase
- The Batman phase
- The X-Files phase
- The Spider-Man phase
- The Kerouac phase
- The Final Fantasy phase
- The classic literature phase
- The Lost phase
- The Star Wars phase
- The James Bond phase
- The Mass Effect phase
- The Pokemon phase (Does anyone know how to get that little accent to appear over the 'e'? This has been a life-long struggle of mine)
- The 80's music phase
- The Akira Kurosawa phase
- The classic Western films phase
- The Arrested Development phase
...etc., etc., etc.

A lot of times I'll cycle back through these phases and re-live them in a whole new way!

(For instance, with the release of both a new Spider-Man film and a new James Bond film on the horizon, my obsessions have been a bit more focused on those particular franchises in whatever forms they occupy, despite the fact that I've already had my phases for both of them multiple times through the years.)

Much to the dismay of my friends and family, I discovered I had an opinion on practically every single aspect of every single form of popular entertainment and, as I find myself out in the middle of nowhere, working a 9-5 job where such obsessions are not nearly as appreciated as they should be, I have decided to start a blog that shall focus on all my ramblings and reactions regarding films, directors, actors, music, bands, books, authors, video games, explosions, fast cars, and all that other nonsense that we read so much about in the paper - Essentially, I'll be discussing all things entertainment. There will probably be no logic to the proceedings. At one point I may be writing a film review for the latest, greatest movie release and at another point I might be writing about the long-lost notion of an album as an artform and why I feel it's incredibly important. One day I might rank my top 10 favorite films; on another day I might discuss how much I hate Michael Bay. (There are so many reasons!!) The possibilities are truly endless!!!!

Regardless of what I'm discussing, I hope that my posts will prove to be as entertaining as the subjects they discuss (Or in some cases, even more so) and I do hope that all you crazy kids who happen to join the adventure get some kind of kick out of the madness. If you have any thoughts or anything to say on whatever matter I feel the need to discuss, please don't hesitate to do so! I'd be glad to hear everyone's opinions, even if I wouldn't dream of ever agreeing with you!!

This is my muse and my dumping area for all my overwhelmingly geeky opinions on everything and I promise that there will be laughter, tears, thrills, endless references, and more spelling/grammar errors than you can shake a web at!

And, so, let the great experiment begin!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment