Thursday, July 10, 2014

22 Jump Street - The Best Comedy Sequel of All Time! (?)

Try counting out on your fingers all the great comedy sequels you can think of. And I’m not talking about just ‘decent’ comedy sequels. They need to be able to stand on the same level as their predecessor.

Go ahead, give it a shot. I’ll even let you cheat and use Edgar Wright’s Hot Fuzz, even though it’s not technically a sequel.

Have you thought it out a bit?

Did you get past one hand?

If you did, I’m not sure I trust your instincts on what constitutes a good comedy sequel. The general consensus is that sequels in this genre are doomed to fail long before they’re even out the gate. The main issue is that comedies aren’t typically designed to carry long-running franchises – the jokes become stale, the characters reveal themselves as one-note and dull. What started off as fresh and fun becomes repetitive and lame. Good comedy sequels are a rare breed. So, when I say 22 Jump Street could very well be the very best comedy sequel I’ve ever seen, it may seem like I'm damning it with faint praise.

I assure you, this is not the case.

22 Jump Street is spectacular. I enjoyed it every bit as much as I enjoyed its surprisingly fantastic predecessor. It’s hysterical and intelligent, always a winning combo. The screenplay, penned by the same writer as the first Michael Bacall (This time joined by Oren Uziel and Rodney Rothman), addresses head on the shortcomings of sequels in a fresh and inventive way. I worried it would get a bit smug with its self-aware attitude; it never does. It’s endlessly endearing. Also returning are the first film’s directing duo Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Hot off the release of what is arguably one of the best films of the year, The Lego Movie, Lord and Miller continue to show they just might be one of the finest directing duos this side of the Coen Brothers.

Of course, punchlines are nothing if you don’t have the right people delivering them and once again Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum prove to be one of the finest on-screen teams in any movie of any genre.  Period. They’re kind of like the modern day Riggs and Murtaugh of Lethal Weapon fame, only a hundred times more insane. Seriously, I love these two and I love their chemistry and I hope we get more and more of these movies as long as the same creative team is involved.

I’m sure the charm will fizzle at some point, but right now that point seems a long-ways off. Bring on 23 Jump Street.

FINAL RATING: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment